Monday, April 26, 2010

Kimball David

My birth story:

A few months ago I decided that I didn't want to have an epidural, and I wanted to have this baby naturally. I've had many different birth experiences, my first was natural, my second was induced/had an epidural, my third was in the middle of the night/epidural and this time I wanted a different experience. I wanted to be more in control and calm. My friend had done hypnobirthing and I really loved her story and experience. So I ordered the book and read the book and LOVED the book. It made so much sense and it was just great information, if you want to do hypnobirthing I would highly recommend taking the classes (which I didn't do because I don't have a spouse here and just couldn't figure out how to work it out time wise).

Next part of the story, you may have caught on that I was overdue. So being overdue is rough, I mean really, being pregnant is rough anyway, so being overdue can just be hellish. I was tired and uncomfortable and REALLY tired of everyone calling me and asking if I was EVER going to have this baby and why I don't just go get induced. Well, I didn't want to! And I'm stubborn, especially if you push me. :)

Next part I don't really want to go into very much, but my doctor and I had a little run in. And I wasn't very happy about the way he talked to me and whatever, this was last thursday. I pretty much cried that whole day, and just prayed and prayed that I would go into labor so this could be done with. And that night/next morning I started having contractions.


I woke up just before 3am and the contractions were like 2-4 minutes apart. And I was uncomfortable. And I was tired. After about an hour, I called my sister (who was going to be my "support person") and asked her what I should do. She told me to call the hospital and talk to the nurses, so I did. She's smart. They told me to drink some water, maybe take a bath, see if they got stronger. So I waited and they WERE getting stronger, so I called my sister again and told her to get over here! We got to the hospital about 5am and I was trying really hard to concentrate and breath and relax. It wasn't easy with all the five billion questions they ask you, but I was trying. I'm not going to lie to you and say it was easy, the contractions were hard and I was already at a five when I got there, and I wasn't sure what I wanted to do. A part of me REALLY wanted to get the epidural and not feel this any more, and another part of me REALLY didn't want to. I was faltering and I wasn't sure what to do. They gave me a little something to "take the edge off" and I think it gave me just the teensiest bit of relief to keep going. The doctor got there a little bit later and broke my water, I was a seven then and all of a sudden I was in a LOT of pain. I pretty much progressed to a ten in just a few more contractions. I have to tell you, it was really hard! And I know that sounds stupid, like DUH labor hurts! But it was REALLY hard, and I was breathing hard and I was saying "oh my gosh!" and I wasn't sure what I should do because !!! And then it was time to push and that didn't feel so great either! But I was trying to concentrate and just do it and get this beautiful baby here! So then after just a few pushes, he was here!

This is what I want you to know: even though it was incredibly painful, it really honestly was worth it. When they handed him to me, I have never seen one of my babies be more awake and alert. He was looking all around, he was calm and he looked like he knew exactly what was going on. It was amazing. I didn't have to deal with any of the epidural mess, which in my opinion is scary and painful in itself, and I didn't have to deal with the recovery part of that on top of the other recovery. It was a really cool experience.

I went into the hospital at 5am and he was born at 7:17am. He weighed 8 lbs and is 19in long. And we named him Kimball David. He is beautiful and perfect and has DARK hair! I can't believe it, all my kids have been super light haired, so fun! And he HATES his diaper being changed.

The kids are in love with him, even Sam who I was super worried about. When we got home, Sam wanted to hold Kimball and just kept kissing him everywhere on his face. He'd look at me and say "I kiss his eye." and then kiss his eye, and then "I kiss his cheek." and kiss his cheek. He kissed him over and over and over, we laughed SO HARD. He really is a precious, beautiful baby and we are so grateful he's here and healthy and perfect.

p.s. Sam is freakishly huge now, its scaring me. Especially his head. Wowee!

3 awesomeness!...and attractiveness!:

Ryan and Heather Bartron said...

What a beautiful story! My cousin is a hypnobirthing instructor and it has always sounded really interesting to me. I agree, natural is the way to go! Kimball is beautiful!

Combs - A day in the Life of... said...

How fun!!! I miss having a little baby. Kimball is sooooo cute and I can't believe that he has dark hair. For being overdue you have to have a little bit of you in him, right? Sheesh I could talk forever. I am just so glad that mommy and baby are doing well. Love ya and miss you.

Shane & Laina said...

YEAH!!!! Oh Melinda, I am so glad you had such a great experience. You're right, it's still not easy, but I worth it. Little Kimball David (I love the name) is beautiful. I am so glad he is here safely and all is well. CONGRATULATIONS!!! We love you.